Saturday, November 6, 2010

Porters: paradise for paint and wallpaper

Not only is Porter's Paints the most fabulous store I know of to feel inspired about paint and wallpaper, it happens to be oh so handy to my favourite yarn store, Tangled Yarns. So much colour and texture to inspire in such close proximity!

So I popped over to Porter's Paints after my regular knit 'n knatter session. I now have a shade card to help me make some colour decisions. I was never keen on wallpaper until recently, but some very nice wallpaper is making my rethink that view. Porter's Paints has the most lush wallpapers at the moment.

Our upstairs has the lofty ceilings and VJs that characterise 1930s Queenslanders. However, in the 1980s, the previous owners built in under in 1980s style: mission brown brick and aluminium windows. Tiles in very pale blue/grey. Not really sympathetic to the original character. However, it was solidly built, and I have hopes that we can improve it.

A few decisions to be made: Replace the windows with more traditional windows, or does it not matter so much because we want to keep the lower level fairly unobtrusive? To bag or render the exterior brick? To do the same to the interior, or use some of the brick walls as feature walls? Can I find a colour which will nicely complement the tiles, and still offset the mission brown brick.

Choices...choices.

No comments: