Friday, July 8, 2011

Lighting

I am quite often captivated by a modern twist on a traditional style. The popular ghost chairs are one such example. In my recent search for lights for our lounge and dining, I stumbled on another the Mercator Charlotte chandelier. Love the combination of shiny black and the traditional chandelier. Very Victorian gothic with a hint of modern in the shiny black fittings.


Alas, budget restrictions being as severe as they are, and the practicalities of living in a house with 4 boys and frequent IFOs (interior flying objects - a phenomenon which may have had something to do with the need to find new lights), meant I had to cast my lustful eyes elsewhere.

A day of shopping and hours more browsing the web - my husband and I eventually settled on this slightly more budget and IFO friendly design from Beacon lighting:

With the sale on which gave a discount on the second pendant, the price was bargain basement for a nice light fitting. Can you sense the theme? Black, a little bit of ornateness.

Very pleased now they are in. They diffuse and distribute the light from the halogen bulb very nicely. Hmmm - would it be overkill to get the smaller version for over the stairwell nearby? Possibly, as they are 'statement' fittings. Might have to go for something tamer for the stairwell. The stairwell adjoins the kitchen, which will need different lighting anyway - so may look for something for the kitchen and stairs that work well together.

1 comment:

brismod said...

Ha! Yes, we definitely have different tastes in lighting! But that's ok because vive le difference as I say.

I like how your lights produce the shadow onto the ceiling. Very cool. xx